Friday, November 15, 2013

Is it a mosquito, or a dragonfly?

No idea, but it's what happened on the page.
I had been watching a video on using glazes and decided to have a try with one of the pages in my journal where I had just slapped all the leftover paint.
This was the page I chose.  As you can see, a big mess, but I thought I saw something flying on the left hand side.
I outlined the shape I could see and put a yellow glaze over everything else to unify the background.  It worked well.  The texture is still visible underneath, but the shape is much more prominent.
Here I blocked in the shape I saw and turned a circle that was under all the paint but showing through into a sun. I still wasn't happy with my shape and spent a long time thinking....
And this is what I ended up with.  I got so engrossed that I forgot to take pictures in between.
I lightened the body and three of the wings with an iridescent violet then added highlights with a lilac paint pen, then I went back in with a silver and a red gel pen and added more, smudging as I went.  finally, I went over the veins and dark shadows with a black glaze pen.
Here are a couple of close ups.
So, it's amazing what can come out of a messy page!  I do like finding things in my backgrounds and this one, although he is not sure whether he is a mosquito or a dragonfly - turned out well.

Today is Day 15


Happy creating